This Harvest Moon Soup will have your kids eating their fruits and vegetables without them knowing. Without the need for sautéing the vegetables, this soup keeps the color and flavor of all of the vegetables included. You can also turn this soup vegetarian with simply replacing the chicken broth for vegetable broth!
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 tart or creamy apples (Granny Smith, McIntosh)
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 cups cream
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups apple cider
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Bring all ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 50 to 60 minutes or until carrots are tender. Remove from heat, and cool 15 minutes.
- Remove thyme sprigs. Process soup, in batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth. (For a thinner soup, stir in more broth, 1 Tbsp. at a time.) Spoon into individual bowls, and serve immediately.