Haven’t pulled out that food processor for a while? Dust it off and mix up a batch of this flavorful pesto.
You can mix this microgreen and kale pesto into your favorite pasta, spread it on pizza, add it to vegetables, and so much more!
Here is what you’ll need. Be sure to use Greensted microgreens!
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
- 1/4 cup Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds) unsalted
- 2 cups Fresh Kale, Chopped May Substitute some fresh basil for some of the Kale
- 2 cups Greensted Microgreens 1/2 c Sunflower Shoots, 1 c Zesty Mix, 1/2 C Sweet Pea Shoots
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-2 Tablespoons Red or White Balsamic Vinaigrette Lemon or citrus infused optional
- 3/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil 1/2 c EVOO, 1/4 cup Tuscan Herb Infused Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Red onion chopped
- Pulse pepitas in a blender or food processor until finely ground. Set aside.
- Place Kale, Microgreens, Garlic, Lemon Juice, Vinaigrette, Salt and ½ cup olive oil in blender or food processor. Process til it begins to grind greens up, drizzling remaining oil in fine stream as processing. May need to stop and stir with spatula to process fully. Mixture should be blended but not pureed smooth. When Processed to desired consistency, pour into mixing bowl.
- Pour into a mixing bowl. Stir in ground nuts and Romano Cheese. Taste pesto. Can add 1-2 tablespoons more vinaigrette if desired.
- Store in refrigerator. Flavor will intensify after 24 hours. Use as desired on pasta, as sandwich spread, with vegetables, salmon or white fish, pizza or whatever you can imagine. Makes approximately 1.5 cups. Use within 1-2 weeks.
- Substitutions: May use almonds or cashews in place of Pepitas. May use Parmesan cheese in place of Romano.
Recipe credit: Jayne Bredlau, Greenested 10.2018 Olive oil and Balsamic Vinegar available at Northfield Olive Oils and Vinegar Stores