This recipe for delicious garlic mashed turnips will have you trading the potatoes for turnips. This side dish is made in one pot, removing the hassle of having to wash multiple dishes at the end of the night. Try this out for a new take on mashed potatoes that might just change your life.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
- 2 medium purple-top turnips
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chives finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Peel turnips. Cut into roughly 2-inch chunks
- Add chopped turnips to 3 quart or larger pot, and fill with water. Cover with lid, and bring to boil. Boil turnips until very soft, about 30 minutes. Drain turnips in colander, emptying pot of water. Let turnips sit for about 5 minutes to steam out, then transfer turnips back to pot.
- Mash turnips in pot. Add all other ingredients, and stir over medium-low heat for a few minutes until incorporated. If mixture appears too thin, proceed to the next step to thicken; otherwise, skip the next step.
- Increase to medium heat so that mixture starts to bubble. Stir nearly constantly (to prevent sticking to bottom of pot) for a few minutes until mixture thickens and resembles mashed potatoes.
- Cool for 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve